A MESSAGE FROM DEAN HANS E. BUTZER
Dear Christopher C. Gibbs College of Architecture Community:
Our College is committed to developing new knowledge and training high-performing industry professionals to design resilient communities. Our research, teaching, and service are grounded in our core values: contextual, resourceful, and entrepreneurial practice. We imagine a future in which all communities are resilient and empowered to maximize their social, economic and environmental well-being.
We challenge our students to learn by doing, to put their knowledge to the test by serving communities around the world. Our Gibbs News Channel offers highlights from our students’ work and impact within and beyond our College environs. The range of projects, from Muskogee, Oklahoma, to Italy and Uganda, is a testament to our students’ abilities and ambitions. It is also an indicator of our faculty and staff team’s commitment to providing ideal and inspired learning environments for our students to practice our mantra: Design in Action.
Our students learn best by doing, collaboratively more often than not. This approach makes visceral the power of engagement, of design in action, whether with our professional or lay communities. They operate locally and globally, developing confidence in themselves and a commitment to others. A survey of our recent graduates and alumni proves these outreach experiences during their time in Norman continue to shape their lives and careers.
On behalf of all students, faculty and staff of The University of Oklahoma College of Architecture, I affirm our commitment to engaged learning with our students. Together, we will build the foundations for stronger and more resilient communities wherever we may be needed!
Hans E. Butzer, AIA, LEED AP
Dean, Christopher C. Gibbs College of Architecture
The University of Oklahoma
Our executive team works diligently to create a supportive environment at the college. With collaboration among our directors and staff, we are able to work together on shared governance and create opportunities for faculty and students across disciplines. Our team is dedicated to promoting Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion efforts to make Gibbs a place where everyone feels welcomed.
- Hans E. Butzer, Dean
- Ben Bigelow, Director of Haskell & Irene Lemon Construction Science Division
- Mark Ellis, Director of Administration and Finance
- Ron Frantz, Director of the Environmental Design Program
- Camille Germany, Assistant to the Directors
- Patrice Greer, Assistant to the Deans
- Shane Hampton, Director of the Institute for Quality Communications
- John Harris, Director of Division of Regional + City Planning
- Leehu Loon, Associate Dean & Director of the Division of Landscape Architecture
- Angela Person, Director of Research Initiatives and Strategic Planning
- Stephanie Pilat, Director of the Division of Architecture
- Elizabeth Pober, Director of the Division of Interior Design
- Jerry Puckett, Facilities Manager
- Shawn Schaefer, Director of the Urban Design Program
- Peter Tran, IT Manager
- Erin Tyler, Director of Advising